Saturday, July 24, 2010

Unit in a Day

The KublaCon’s Speed Painting tables answered the problem my refusal to store any more unpainted miniatures had presented. Having picked up a full set of Mantic Skeleton sprues at KublaCon I set myself the challenge of painting them in a day. After three hours of assembly I had a solid block of twenty-two skeletons (one being that of a warhound) and primed them white. The pictured practice figure took between 20-30 minutes.



Here are the first layers going down. I also limited myself to eight colors in order to speed any decision making and force more color mixing (another personal goal). As I intended to finish them off with stains I focused on keeping my application neat to reduce the amount of repainting.



Having primed the unit the night before, I sat down first thing in the morning with my coffee and paintbrush. With limited breaks for snacks and DVD changes the Brotherhood of Widows' Tears was complete in about 7 hours. The white surrounding the tufts of grass is fresh glue as I took the picture as soon as I had completed the work. There is only the matter of a paper standard that has yet to be designed but they are ready to make more 28mm widows and orphans. With the new Horde rules in Warhammer 8th edition my Vampire Counts will be glad for the reinforcements.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! You're first entry looks great I'm following your RSS feed on my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with how well this came out for speed painting. Truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent job! I also like your use of unit bases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the pallette choice. It makes the unit cohesive, and I imagine that it made it easier to speed paint. I also love the basing. I'm still fence sitting on a larger base or a mix of single and large base.You may have convinced me!

    Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete